In addition to ongoing efforts to reduce and recycle waste, this year we encouraged our portfolios and hotels to develop new initiatives to raise environmental awareness among our employees, guests and the public. These included:
At EAST Hong Kong,
- Reduction of waste generated by guestroom renovation, with unwanted furniture and other items donated to NGOs;
- Guests can now order food from digital menu accessible with QR code – a contactless solution which also reduces paper wastage;
- We began upcycling glass bottles into toothpick and napkin holders, table lights and holiday decorations.
At The Upper House,
- Donated soap to an NGO that recycles soap;
- Introduced electronic press readers to reduce daily newspaper waste; and
- Began collecting and recycling food waste at staff canteens and food preparation kitchens.
At Taikoo Place, Christmas decorations – including Christmas trees – were made out of natural wool this year. After the holidays, the decorations were dismantled and the wool was collected and will be used in upcycled knit projects, with our NGO partners, Taikoo Place tenants and Community Ambassadors in 2021.